I’m super super excited to share this potato cheese balls recipe. Why? I loved to eat potato balls and I always had a tough time making these fried balls. And, I had this keen desire to share a very good recipe with basic ingredients.
AND I failed so many times to bring out that very best taste. Either, it would be too bland or too spicy like aloo vada. So striking the right taste that compliments cheese was tough. Another big struggle was getting perfectly soft potatoes without making them mushy. Since I’ve figured out the secret, I’ll share it with you in the tips section.
Finally, I have a perfect recipe for Indian style delicious potato cheese balls with crispy coating melting cheese oozing through it. Pair it with ketchup or mayo garlic sauce and you'll love it.
Tips to make potato cheese balls
- Sweeter varieties of potatoes are more likely to get mushy. So avoid those. Sweet varieties of potato have a sweet smell when you cut them if that helps you identify it.
- How to cook your potatoes al dente? For this keep an eye on potatoes while boiling. I prefer checking my potatoes after 15-20 minutes of boiling. Small potatoes will cook quickly. I insert a knife in potato to check. If the knife runs very smoothly. I’ll poke once more from a different position to be sure that potato is cooked from all sides. Then remove the potato with the help of the same knife poked in it and transfer to a vessel. Similarly, I check each potato and remove it from boiling water. I let larger potatoes boil longer if needed.
- Never leave a boiled potato in water: Now, the biggest mistake which makes potatoes mushy is leaving potatoes in boiling water for long. Or immersing boiled potatoes in cold water to speed up the cooling process. The potatoes will absorb too much water and get mushy.
- The best way is to let boiled potatoes come to room temperature naturally. You just need to plan a little and boil potatoes in advance. You can also place boiled potatoes under a fan to cool quickly, so you can skin them easily.
- If you’ve done the above steps correctly, you’ll have no trouble in meshing potatoes and make these yummy potato cheese balls recipe.
- Cheese: I've mentioned cheddar cheese in recipe card but you can use any cheese that melts well upon heating like mozzarella.
Mushy Potatoes: The main ingredient in this recipe is potato which differs greatly in variety and taste. Sometimes even after taking all precaution potatoes still get mushy. To overcome this add gradually 1 tablespoon extra bread crumb until potato mixture is thick enough to roll.
Cheese leaking from potato balls: We are double coating, potato balls to avoid this, so this is unlikely. But, if cheese leaks out while frying. Remove the leaking potato cheese ball and set aside. Fry all the other potato cheese balls first. Then coat the leaking cheese balls again with egg wash followed by breadcrumbs. Then fry as usual.
Craving fried snacks? Try these!
- Crispy Chicken Tenders
- Arabic Fried potatoes
- Potato raita (Indian Potato yogurt salad)
- Aloo ki roti (Mashed potato Flatbread)
How to make Potatoes Cheese balls recipe?
Potato cheese balls recipe
- 500 grams potatoes
- 3-4 tablespoon bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh corriander
- 2 tablespoon chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ tablespoon red chilli powder or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt or more to taste, or more to taste
- 100 gram cheddar cheese, ,cut into ½ inch cubes
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil , or other herb
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoon cornflour
- 1-2 eggs , as needed
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Oil , to fry
- Wash and boil potatoes in a large pot with salt. Peel off the skin and mesh potatoes until smooth. (See tips above the recipe card)
- Add all ingredients of seasoning in the meshed potato and mix well.
- Cut cheese into 20 cubes. Season cheese mixing red chilli, black pepper and herbs in it.
Roll Potato Balls
- Roll 20 balls out of meshed potato and simultaneously inserting cheese cubes into each ball. Make sure the cheese cube is completely covered with potato.
Double coating of bread crumbs
- Beat eggs with salt, red chilli powder and water. Set aside.
- Roll all ball first in cornflour. Then roll each ball in egg wash and then in bread crumbs.
- For double coating, dip each balls again in egg wash and then in bread crumb.
- Place balls in fridge for 30 minute to firm.
- Deep fry potato cheese ball in small batches on medium heat for 2-3 minutes then increase heat and fry on high heat for 1-2 minutes until golden and crispy.
- Place unfried balls separately in a tray and freeze for 2 hours. Then transfer all balls in a air tight box or zip lock bag. These balls can be frozen for a month or more. Fry frozen balls directly without thawing on medium heat. Frozen balls will take more time to fry.