This post may contain affiliate links.
Bohra cuisine is all about slow cooking, marination, few ingredients but rich flavors. Cashew nut is main ingredient in this curry and it produces cheesy creamy flavor with little searing ( bhunnofying) to give subtle touches. While tempering enhances the aroma of this dish. This is a light, not very spicy dish. And it is great to charm cashew lovers. You can serve the white chicken with cashew with rice or roti.
Mutton leg with cashew nuts
It's a very simple recipe that can be made with chicken, mutton or lamb. Traditionally, it was made with mutton leg. But, I'm using chicken in this post and as it is convenient for everyone. If you use mutton leg for this recipe, just make sure you marinate it for 24 -36 hours in fridge and then slow cook with two cups water till mutton is really tender. By really tender, I mean you need to cook it for long hours on very slow flame. Then you dry it and sear it with little oil. Then follow instructions for gravy and tempering as it is. And you'll have amazingly tasty meat that is not even loaded with too many spices and garam masala.
In fact, you can also make kofta (meat balls) curry with this recipe. Just make meat ball with your favourite spices. Then add two tablespoons oil and kofta in a skillet and cover; let kofta cook fully so they don't break. Then, add cashew, yogurt and tempering in the similar ways as done with chicken.
See, like I always say, I don't only want to give you one recipe but also want to suggest how you can create your own. I would love to hear more from you in comments.
How to make White chicken with cashew nuts
White chicken with cashew nuts
- 500 grams chicken pieces
- 1 tablespoon ginger and garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon green chilli paste, or more
- 4 tablespoon oil
- 1 fist full cashew nut, ,less than ½ cup, powdered (kajo)
- 1 cup or 200 ml yogurt
- ½ cup milk or more
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 5-7 round red chillies, (gol lal mirch)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seed, ,roasted and grounded (bhuna kuta zeera)
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, ,roasted and grounded (bhuna kuta dhnaya)
- salt, , to taste
- In a bowl take chicken, green chili, ginger paste and yogurt. Mix well and marinate for 30 minutes.(or overnight in fridge)
- In a thick bottomed pan, cook chicken with two tablespoons oil and ¼ cup water for 15 minutes until tender and water dries completely.
- Add cashew powder in chicken and sear (bhunna) for few minutes on medium flame.
- Finally add yogurt and milk. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- In a pan, fry cumin, coriander and round red chilies for 1 minutes in two tablespoon oil. Pour over the chicken and cover the pan. Garnish with cashew halves.
Step by step recipe of White chicken with Cashew nuts
Take chicken, yogurt, ginger, garlic and green chilli paste in a bowl.Mix well and marinate 30 minutes or overnight in fridge.Cook the chicken in vessel for 15- 20 minutes until tender.The chicken is cooked. Add cashew nut and sear (bhunna) for 1-2 minutes. The chicken is slightly brown and masala is roasted.Add whipped yogurt.Then add milk and salt. Mix well and simmer for few minutes.Prepare tempering by frying red chillies, roasted and grounded cumin and coriander.Pour tempering over the chicken. Cook for few minutes. When the oil separate, white chicken with cashew nuts is ready.