Step-by-step recipe of Bohra Kaari masala with photos of each step. Kaari Chawal is traditional Bohra curry.
The main ingredients of this masala are cashew and star anise. Star anise is a very strong spice with an intense and peculiar aroma. I'm using many ingredients but a few are optional like pumpkin seeds and almonds.
For the best taste use only cashew and no almonds, but commercially people use almonds and lots of peanuts to cut on the amount of cashew used in masala.
Poppy seeds: Kaari masala is made with poppy seeds. Add ¼ cup poppy seeds. It is optional because of unavailability in certain countries. I've made this masala without it but you can add if you like. Consuming poppy seeds in moderation is ok.
I have added all spices like red chili, coriander, and turmeric in the masala so you just need to fry the masala and add pour coconut milk. Tweak the recipe in whole spices to increase the spice level as per your taste.
How to make it?
Roast nuts separately as nuts will require slightly more time to roast compared to spices. You can omit almonds and use twice the amount of cashew if you want.
Let the nuts cool completely then grind with roasted gram. (Nuts release oils upon grinding, like peanut butter and almond butter-making process. So, don't over-grind.)
Next roast seeds and spices until fragrant.
You can see a slightly darker color here. Let the spices cool before grinding. Then mix in salt, turmeric, and ginger powder.
Store in a clean and dry airtight jar in the fridge.
Try other bohra recipes as well!
If you try this recipe, I'd LOVE to hear your feedback in the comments. Your 5-ratings motivate me to do my best. Stay connected for more recipes and videos on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Youtube.
Bohra Kaari Masala
- 75 gram or ¾ cup roasted bengal gram, (bhuna channa)
- 75 gram or ¾ cup cashew nuts, (kajoo)
- 75 gram or ½ cup almonds, (badaam), see notes
- 100 gram or ¾ cup peanuts, (moong phali)
- 25 gram or ¼ cup sesame seeds, (til)
- 25 gram or ¼ cup poppy seeds
- 25 gram or ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, (char magaz), optional
- 2 teaspoon ginger powder, (soont)
- 1 ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, (haldi)
- 1 ½ teaspoon coriander seeds, (dhanya)
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds, (zeera)
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, (sauf)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, (kali mirch)
- 5 cloves, (laung)
- 5 button red chili, (gol lal mirch)
- 2 star anise, (badyaan phool)
- 1 large Kashmiri chilli, (talhar mirch) , optional
- 2 teaspoon salt
- Roast cashew, almond (if using) and peanuts on medium heat for 5 minutes until fragrant. Let the nuts cool then mix with roasted gram and grind into fine powder.
- Roast all seeds and spices for 3 minutes on medium flame until fragrant. Let the spices cool for few minutes. Then grind into fine powder.
- Mix all ingredients together. Masala is ready, store in an airtight jar in fridge. Use within 6 months.
- You can substitute roasted grams with split gram (channa dal). Roast split gram with nuts.
- You can substitute 75 grams almonds with 75 grams cashew. So you use 150 gram cashew.
- Pumpkin seeds can be substituted with sesame seeds. So you need 50 gram sesame seeds.
- Grinds nuts separately.