This post may contain affiliate links.
Try this juicy chicken burger patty recipe and you'll love it. This is our new family favorite dinner. The patty is freezer friendly which means you can have burgers anytime with minimal effort. What more?
In this post, I have shared a complete recipe to turn this juicy chicken patty into a juicy and flavorful chicken burger with burger sauce and caramelized onions. I had posted this recipe on my Instagram and this recipe has already earned amazing feedback.
This recipe is inspired by a friend who makes simply amazing burgers and loves to host a party. He does it with simple salt and pepper beef patties. But I decided to make this with chicken, paired it with his amazing sauce and caramelized onion. And the results are juicy delicious juicy homemade chicken burgers. If you like fast food beef burgers check this recipe.
If you are like my friend who hates cilantro then you can add parsley and still enjoy a delicious burger.
I know, you are rolling your eyes at the heading. The ingredients list is mentioned in the recipe card so I won’t repeat it. We won’t go into surplus details.
Juicy Chicken patty:
The chicken patty is very juicy due to the secret ingredient of mayonnaise. Actually, ground chicken lacks in fat. So the oil in mayonnaise give the ground chicken extra flavor and moisture. Find freezing and baking details in the recipe card.
Caramelized onion add the absolutely subtle taste and texture to the burger. I've kept them moderately spicy as the chicken patty is very mild in taste. If you like more flavor add mushrooms too in the sauce. You'll love it.
The burger sauce
The burger sauce is amazing and you can store it in frigde for 15 day to even a month. It is made with easy with pantry ingredients. If you like more options consider adding peri peri sauce, sweet chili sauce or you favourite sauce. Cucumber relish can also be a great addition. Chili garlic sauce is a desi favourite condiment similar to ketchup with extra garlic and red chilli flavors. You can also use this tomato jam.
You can go crazy here though. I kept it simple with cucumber and tomato, but iceberg or salad leaves would taste great additions. I'd like some jelapoeno and olives too.
You can use sliced cheddar or burger cheese. Gouda, blue cheese or swiss cheese will also taste great.
Use sesame or any of your favorite bun. The photo was taken with potato buns.
How to make it?
Making this homemade juicy chicken burger patty is very easy. You can make chicken patty 24 hours ahead and store in the fridge. You can freeze it too for later use.
Juicy Chicken Patty
- We need fine chicken mince so you might need to pulse the chicken mince a few times in the food processor for that very fine and pasty texture. (Alternatively, you can also add chicken breast chunks and pulse it until very smooth.) Simply combine all ingredients of the burger patty in the bowl.
- Apply little oil to the hand and mix it all together. The mixture will be sticky and you might get tempted to add more bread crumbs. But be patient and let it chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes. This allows the breadcrumbs to absorb excess moisture. The mixture will be easy to handle but still soft. That ok!
- Apply little oil again and roll seven patties out of the mixture. You can chill it again in the fridge so it firms up a bit.
- Or shallow fry in 2 tablesoon of oil right away. As soon as the chicken is cooked, the patty will be firm but juicy. Do not over-cook or the patty can dry out a bit. Freshly fried patties taste best.
Caramelized Onions and Burger Sauce
- This is the straightaway recipe of caramelized onion that I serve with all my beef steaks and burgers. Just put the ingredients in the pot. Make sure to add very little oil as you can remove the excess.
- Saute on medium heat until the onions are soft and glossy. Yes, the glossy shine will tell you it's ready.
- The burger sauce is truly simple but tastes amazing. Gather all ingredients in a bowl.
- Just mix all ingredients and store them in a jar. You can store it in the fridge for 2 weeks or more until its taste and texture remain the same.
- Assembling is quite visible in the collage. Choose any fresh and light burger buns. I used homemade potato buns. Apply sauce to the bun.
- Add caramelized onions and fried chicken patty.
- Add fresh veggies and cheese of your choice.
- And tada! You can grill it If you like it warm and crisp. Let the cheese melt too. Or just enjoy a soft juicy burger right away.
Chicken patty needs a binding agent to keep it from falling apart. The binding agent could be bread crumbs, egg, or flour. We are using bread crumbs for binding in this recipe.
You can shallow fry chicken patty with a few tablespoons of oil. If the chicken patty is frozen then fry on low heat flipping from time to time.
Hungry for more? Try these.
Chicken Burger Patty
Juicy chicken patties
- 500 gram fine ground chicken/chicken mince, see notes
- ½ teaspoon red chilli
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- ¼ cup onion
- 2 tablespoon cilantro / corriander, or parseley
- 4 tablespoon mayonaise
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
Caramelized onion (optional)
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup mayonaise
- ½ cup ketchup
- ¼ cup chili garlic sauce, see notes
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- ½ tablespoon mustard
Veggies of choice
- 1 nos Salad leaves
- 1 nos Cucumber
- 1 nos Tomato
- 7 nos Sliced cheese
- 7 Burger buns
Juicy chicken patty
- Combine all ingredients of the chicken patty in a bowl. Mix well and chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes. Protips: The mixture will be sticky but it will be easy to roll after chilling.
- Apply little oil on hand and roll out seven patty from the mixture.
- Shallow fry in 2 tablespoons oil on medium heat for 4 minutes on each side until golden. (Do not over-cook or the patty can dry out.)
Caramelized onions (optional)
- Combine all ingredients of caramelised onion in a pan. Saute on medium heat until onions are soft and glossy.
- Gather all ingredients of sauce in a bowl. Mix and store in a jar.
- To serve, apply sauce to the bun. Add caramelized onions and fried chicken patty. Add fresh veggies and cheese of your choice. You can grill it, if you like it warm and crisp. Or serve right away.
- We need fine chicken mince so you might need to pulse the chicken mince few times in the food processor for that very fine and pasty texture.
- These patties are freezer friendly and should be frozen raw. Line a tray with a baking sheet, and spread the uncooked patties on it. Freeze it. When patties are rock solid, transfer them to a freezer bag. Ideally, remove patties from the freezer 45 minutes ahead of frying. Or thaw overnight in the fridge before frying.
- You can also bake frozen patties in the oven at 350 C for 17 minutes until golden. Flip halfway for even cooking.
- Avocado slices
- Sauteed Mushroom
- Grilled Pineapple slices
- Olives slices