Heya! Looking for a spicy cornflakes chicken tender recipe that is crispy, juicy, and flavorful? This is one of those fried chicken recipes about which I’m super confident. These are meant to please. The double coating stays crisp and gives absolute crunch in every bite. The spicy level is also balanced and makes it a good starter or appetizer.
Baked or Fried or Air fryer Cornflakes Chicken
Obviously, fried cornflakes chicken fingers would taste best. But baked cornflakes coated chicken also stay crispy for long and taste great too with no compromise on health. Check the video for steps for baking chicken tenders. This recipe is also Air fryer friendly.
How to cut chicken strips?
To cut chicken strips out of the chicken breast. First, hammer each chicken breast lightly to flatten. Then cut the chicken breast diagonally. Divide longer strip into two. Also, slice thicker strips into two strips.
These strips will puff up slightly. The coating will also make them thick so make sure chicken strip have less than ½ inch thickness.
Why this Cornflakes chicken recipe works?
We marinate the chicken with spices and lemon juice which makes chicken flavorful and soft. Then we coat the chicken with cornflour that locks the juices in chicken and also form a sticky surface for cornflakes to stick. The cornflakes coating is plain so to balance that we add enough spice in marination and coatings. The taste is crispy and slightly spicy.
Gluten-free chicken tenders
If you want to make gluten free chicken tenders, simply substitute plain flour with more cornflour and use gluten free cornflakes. The ketchup used in the recipe should be gluten free.
You can roll these tender in any sauce like buffalo sauce, honey garlic or barbecue sauce to make juicy succulent chicken strips. Check this buffalo chicken recipe for inspiration.
How to make Spicy Cornflakes Chicken Recipe
- Put all ingredients to marinate the chicken in a bowl.
- Mix well and let it rest for at least 30 minutes or preferably overnight in the fridge.
- Mix seasoning in flour and cornflour and set aside. (Adjust red chilli powder to taste but remember cornflakes have no seasoning so we depend on this coating for taste boost.)
- When chicken is marinated, coat each chicken strip in seasoned flour. Dust off any excess flour.
- Beat eggs with red chili and salt.
- Dip each flour-coated chicken in the egg mixture.
- Finally, roll chicken strips in crushed cornflakes.
- Flatten the chicken in a long strip shape while rolling and press the coating to stick firmly on the chicken strip. (At this stage you can freeze the chicken for later use. Freeze seperately in a tray for 2 hours or until hard then tranfer frozen strips in a freezer bag and freeze.)
- Repeat coating with all strips.
- Deep fry on medium heat for 3-4 minutes until crispy.
- Frying on medium heat is necessary as the chicken needs to be cooked throughly.
- Remove from oil with a slotted spoon and keep on a kitchen towel. Serve hot with any sweet and sour dip or ketchup.
Hungry for more fried food? Try these.
- Sesame Chicken nugget
- Chicken nugget with ground chicken
- Chicken 65
- Bohra fried chicken
- Chicken Dynamite
- Potato Cheese Balls
Cornflakes Chicken, Spicy (baked or fried)
- 1 (450 gram) chicken breast, , 450 gram, cut in strips
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon red chilli flakes
- ½ tablespoon red chilli powder, , adjust heat to taste
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt , or to taste
- ½ cup cornflour
- ⅓ cup plain flour, substitute with cornflour for gluten free
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon oregano, , optional
- 2 eggs
- ¼ teaspoon red chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 cups cornflakes, , crushed
- In a bowl mix all ingredients to marinate chicken. Set aside for 30 minutes or overnight in fridge.
- In a bowl mix ingredient of flour coating and set aside.
- In another bowl beat egg with salt and red chilli set aside.
- In another plate keep crushed cornflakes for coating.
- First coat all chicken strips with flour mixture. Then dip each strip in egg mixture and coat with crushed cornflakes.
- When all chicken are coated, in a wok deep fry them in small batches on medium heat for 4 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Place coated chicken strip on baking tray. Spray gently with little oil. Bake in pre-heated often at 350 F for 10 minutes.