Step by step recipe of Pakistani Shami kabab with photos of each step.
I’m making these for school lunch box. My elder son is a meat lover and needs proper lunch so these kababs, Keema Cutletsand chicken nuggets are handy in the morning for quick-lunch preps. They can be used in making buns kabab as tikki for a shami bun kabab. In Pakistan, shami kabab are first thing to come in mind when thinking of Ramadan recipes as they are immensely popular and easy to make. As these kabab have cooked meat so you can store them for longer period.
Usually, shami kebabs are dipped in egg and then fried. But as I wanted quick frozen shami kababs. I have dipped these in egg and coated in bread crumbs. So, I just have to throw frozen kabab in hot oil and crispy shami kabab are ready.
My other Pakistani recipes are
How to make Pakistani Shami Kabab Recipe
Pakistani Shami Kabab
- 500 gram boneless meat – (gosht bagair haddi)
- 4 tablespoons oil – , see notes
- 250 gram or 1 cup split chickpea – (channa ki dal), soaked for 2 hours in warm water
- 1 tablespoon green chilli paste
- 2 inch ginger or 1 ½ tablespoon ginger paste – (adrak)
- 4 garlic cloves or 1 tablespoon garlic – (lahsun)
- 6 round red chili or 1 teaspoon red chilli powder – (sabut gol lal mirch)
- 5 clove laung
- 2 inch cinnamon – (dal cheeni)
- 1 black cardamom – (bari elaichi)
- 1 tablespoon corriander powder – (dhanya)
- 1 teaspoon cumin – (sabut zeera)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper – (kali mirch)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric – (haldi)
- 1 cup water
- salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped green chillies – (hari mirch)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander – (hara dhanya)
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint – (pudina)
- 1 teaspoon chat masala
- 200 gm or 1 large onion, – chopped (piyaz)
- 2 egg, – hard boiled (ubla howa anda)
- 4 eggs – (anday)
- oil for frying
- In a pot take meat, split chickpea, ginger , garlic, salt, turmeric, coriander powder, red chili, cumin, cinnamon, black and green cardamom, cloves, oil and one cup water. Cook for 30 minutes until meat is tender and daal is soft and mushy.
- Burn all the excess water with constant stirring. This step is important.
- Let the mixture cool. Then in a chopper make a smooth mixture of dal and meat.
- In a large dish take kabab mixture, mint , fresh coriander, green chilies, chat masala, 2 boiled egg, 1 beaten egg and onion. Mix well.
- Make oblong or disc shaped kabab from the mixture.
- Beat remaining three egg with salt and 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder.
- Dip each kabab in egg and then in bread crumbs.
- Fry each kabab in oil until golden brown and serve hot.
- For freezing, Place all kababs separately in tray, freeze them for 2 hours. When kabab are fully frozen. Place them one on top of other in an air tight container and freeze. Fry frozen kababs directly in hot oil.
- Instead shallow frying, you can also grill kabab on non stick pan on stove with a teaspoon of oil.
- If you are using lean meat then add oil in preparing kabab or the kababs are too dry.