Step by step recipe of White Karahi with Cream with photos of each step.
White karahi is a Pakistani Dhaba (roadside restaurant) food. This recipe is an amazing day saver and even face saver. When you have no time to cook or you have unexpected guest or you have been out whole day and you don’t want to order food because you want home-cooked food. This quick recipe of white karahi never disappoints on such occasions. And, did I tell you kids love it!
In the recipe below, I cooked the chicken directly. But sometimes, when I have time to plan, I simply marinate the chicken with everything in the recipe except yogurt and cream. Then I cook it until all masala are fried well and then I add yogurt and follow the remaining step as it is. And it’s so simple. I particularly wanted to share this pre-marination trick so someone can benefit. Try to cook in a wok (karahi) but if you don’t have one then you can cook in pot or pan as well.
My other curry recipes are
How to make White Karahi with cream?
White Karahi recipe with cream
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon whole black pepper
For white Karahi
- ½ kg chicken pieces
- ¼ cup oil
- salt to taste
- 1½ tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1 medium (100 gram) onion - , blend into paste
- 1 tablespoon green chilli paste
- ½ teaspoon all spice powder - (garam masala)
- ¾ cup yogurt - , whipped (dahi)
- ¼ cup cream
- 4 medium green chili, divided
- 2 inch ginger - shredded
- Dry roast cumin, coriander and pepper in a pan and ground them into powder. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry chicken pieces for 2 minutes on high heat until colour changes.
- Mix in onion paste, ginger garlic paste, green chilli paste and grounded spices. Fry for 5 minutes until onion water is dried.
- Add yogurt, mix and cover the lid. Cook on medium heat for 10-15 minutes until chicken is tender.
- Next, add cream and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove seeds of chilies and cut into two halves lengthwise. Mix half of chillies in karahi.
- Garnish with shredded ginger and remaining chili halves.
Step by step recipe of White Karahi with cream
Dry roast coriander, cumin and black pepper in a pan. Then ground into a slightly coarse powder.
Heat oil in wok and add chicken pieces. Fry for 2 minutes on high heat until pinkish hue vanishes.
The heat is still on high, add ginger garlic paste and onion paste. Keep stirring.
Add green chili paste and roasted and grounded spices of step 1. (You can see the grounded spices are neither very coarse nor very fine). Cook for 5 minutes on high heat stirring until onion water gets dry and onion’s color changes to brown.
Add yogurt and whole spice powder (garam masala). Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes until chicken is tender and yogurt water dries.
The chicken is tender and a layer of oil has separated oil. Add cream and cook for 1-2 minutes until desired consistency of gravy is reached.
Your white Karahi is ready. Cut medium green chili into halves and remove seeds. Add half of it in karahi for aroma and add save remaining half for garnish.
Garnish with remaining chili halves and shredded ginger.Serve with nan, chapati or roti.
Share your views in comments about this recipe. We’ll love to know!