Have you heard of Chicken 65? The best version of fried Indian Chicken— you’ll ever have. This is a super easy and super famous Indian chicken starter. Unlike other fried chicken that becomes dry upon cooling. Chicken 65 is a winner because, after frying, we season the chicken with aromatic spices and tomato sauce; this keeps the chicken juicy.
Updated on 24/8/2020
A.M Buhari invented and introduced this chicken in Buhari Restaurant in Chennai, Tamil Naidu, India.
What is 65 in CHICKEN 65?
The name of this chicken is naturally intriguing and makes one think what is 65 in chicken 65? The stories associated with the origin of this strange name is ambiguous and most of these stories are too bizarre to be taken seriously. Some say.
The most logically accepted meaning of 65 in chicken 65 is that this chicken was served in a fine dining restaurant in Chennai, India and was introduced in year 1965. The Buhari restaurant still serves Chicken 78 , Chicken 80 and Chicken 90.
Is chicken 65 a Chinese dish?
No, chicken 65 is not a pure or traditional Chinese dish. It is a result of the influence of neighboring Chinese culture on Indian cuisine. So the dish has South Indian with flavors of curry leaves and mustard in the seasoning.The dish was also introduced first time in South India in Chennai.
However, the addition of ketchup and frying battered chicken shows the influence of Chinese culture on local cuisine. This is the reason the dish is often referred to as Indo-Chinese cuisine. But, it is not Chinese in origin.
This chicken is widely served in many places and has many variation so feel free to do changes and make the recipe your own.
- The most critical tip is to use chicken thigh pieces to make this chicken instead of chicken breast. Because thigh pieces are high in fat and they provide soft and juicy flesh for this dish.
- Although, you can make this chicken after resting for 15-20 minutes if you want the best results to marinate for 4-6 hours in the fridge. If you wish to marinate this chicken overnight, Then add flours and egg later, just before frying.
- To make Hyderabadi version chicken 65, in the last step of seasoning add ½ cup yogurt instead of water. The Hyderabadi dishes are also very spicy so add 1 teaspoon extra red chili powder, ½ teaspoon allspice powder, and 1 teaspoon Indian curry powder.
- Curry leaves are dark shiny leaves that grow on a plant. these have distinct a taste that is difficult to replicate. You can use a combo of basil and lemon zest to substitute it. But the result will not be the same.
- If you have difficulty in finding mustard seeds, you can substitute it with mustard powder.
- You can also add roasted and crushed fennel seed to the seasoning. Some people also add shredded coconut in the seasoning.
- Test the chicken: It is always advisable when trying a new recipe, that you fry a single piece of marinated chicken in oil and do a taste test. Adjust spices and salt if needed and then proceed to fry the rest of the chicken in batches.
How to make Chicken 65?
I’ve shared a simple but very delicious version of this chicken that is reasonably spiced like average Indian food, do try the original recipe before adding any variations.
Wash and dry chicken cubes thoroughly. Then, mix all ingredients in a bowl to marinate chicken.
- Set aside for 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator. ( The resting helps to brine of chicken and makes it soft and juicy.)
- Heat oil in a wok and deep fry chicken on medium heat until golden and crispy. Fry in small batches without crowding the wok. Make sure you fry and season chicken just before serving as fresh and crispy chicken tastes best.
Keep all ingredient of seasoning ready before you begin. Heat little oil in a pan on medium heat and add garlic, followed by mustard, green chiles and curry leaves. Give it a stir then add ketchup, red chilli and water. When mixture sizzles add the fried chicken. Mix chicken well to coat with the seasoning and serve.
Hungry? Try these!
- Chicken Manchurian
- Fried Chicken Tender, baked or fried
- Chicken Nugget with ground chicken
- Sesame Chicken Nugget, baked or fried
- Chicken Malai Tikka
- Bohra Fried Chicken
Chicken 65 recipe
- 1 pound boneless chicken thigh, cut in cubes (450 grams)
- 1½ tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- ¾ tablespoon red chilli powder
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt , or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 4 tablespoon corn flour
- 3 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- Oil , to fry
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ½ tablespoon garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seed
- 8-10 curry leaves, (see notes)
- 6 green chillies, seeds removed and slit in to slices
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder, (skip it if you don't like spicy food.)
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoon water
- Dry chicken cubes thoroughly.
- In a bowl mix all ingredients to marinate chicken ( Spices, Flours, Other) thoroughly.
- Set aside for 30 minutes or over night in refrigerator.
- Just before serving deep fry chicken in a wok on medium heat until golden and crispy. Fry in small batches without crowding the wok.
- Remove oil from wok, wipe with tissue. In same wok add 1 tablespoon oil and fry garlic, mustard, curry leaves and green chillies for 1 minute on medium heat.
- Now , add red chilli powder, ketchup and water. Mix well and stir in fried chicken. Coat chicken with seasoning and cook until heated well.
- Serve immediately with lemon wedges.
If you try any of my recipes, don’t forget to share feedback in comments. Also if you share the photo on social media, don’t forget to tag us @recipe52 and use hashtag #loverecipe52. I love to read feedbacks and see your photos.