Kaleji fry recipe Pakistani, soft and juicy with photos of each step. Making Kaleji Masala AKA liver fry is one of those recipes where spices are less important. What matters is technique. Even if you add only salt and pepper you can make the best Kaleji. The trick is to make it soft and juicy.
So, follow the cooking timings and steps religiously for best tasting juicy lamb liver. Obviously, you can play around spices, but the recipe is really balanced with aroma spices and gravy, so you better follow it. You may learn more about benefits of eating liver here.
Resting kaleji after cooking is magic
After cooking lamb liver for 4-5 minutes. Cover pot and rest it. The steam in the pot cooks the liver completely as liver has very little cooking time. This resting allows liver to seal some juices inside which keeps your liver fry soft.
The resting process will make liver release juices in gravy burn them on high heat. I do it when reheating the liver fry before serving. This works best.
How to fix hard and chewy liver chunks?
Lastly, if your liver fry turns hard and chewy due to long cooking. To fix it slow cook liver for 40 minutes or until soft. But with this method liver loses its juiciness but it’s soft enough to eat with this yummy gravy.
Here’s a complete separates post where I discussed everything you need to know about cooking liver and how to handle mishaps.
How to make Kaleji fry masala or Liver fry
I’m using a wok to make this since it has a larger surface for (bhunai) cooking on high heat but a pan or pot will also work well.
Fry onion slices on low heat for 7 minutes until very soft, then fry for 1 minute on high to turn onions light golden.
(The slow cooking helps onions dissolve easily in gravy.)
Here’s a pic of spices. (I used red chilli powder as well that is not visible in pic.)
Add spices and tomatoes. Mix well and cover. Cook for 5-7 minutes on medium heat.
The tomatoes are soft now, stir gravy on high heat to burn tomato water.
When you see oil separating on sides, add whipped yogurt and cook further for 2-3 minutes on high. Keep stirring.
The gravy is ready.
Add washed liver. Mix and cover the lid. Cook for 2-3 minutes on medium heat.
Add fenugreek leaves and salt. Cook for another two minutes on high heat.
Add Garnish to your liver. Switch off the flame and cover the pot. (The liver is not cooked completely, it will continue to cook in a covered pot.) Rest for 10 minutes to seal the juices in the liver then reheat on high flame and burn any extra water (liver juices) and serve immediately.
Ok, the liver pieces are quite big, I realised after they were in pot. So, I suggest, go for small chunk they taste a lot better in small bites.
Hungry for lamb? Check these!
Kaleji Fry Masala Recipe | Liver Fry
- ½ cup oil
- 1 medium (125 gram) onion, , finely sliced
- 2 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- ½ tablespoon green chilli paste
- ½ tablespoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 2 (200 gram) tomato, sliced
- ⅓ cup yogurt
- 500 grams lamb or beef Liver, cut in to small pieces
- 1 tablespoon dried fenugreek leaves
- 1 fistful coriander leaves, chopped
- 3 medium green chillies, sliced
- 2 inch ginger sliced
- In a wok, fry onion on slow heat for 10 minutes. When onion slices are very soft increase heat to medium and stir constantly until light golden.
- Mix spices and tomatoes with the onions. Cover and cook on medium heat for 5-7 minutes. When tomatoes are soft stir on high heat and dry all tomato water.
- When oil separates on sides of wok pour in yogurt and sear for another 2 minutes.
- Now, mix in liver pieces and stir for a minute until color changes. Cover and cook for 2 minutes on medium flame. Remove lid, sprinkle salt and fenugreek leaves. Cook for another 2 minutes on high heat with constant stirring.
- Finally, remove from heat and cover the pot and rest it for 10 minutes at least. The steam in the pot will cook the liver completely. Before serving reheat on high flame and burn any excess water. (Bhunofy for a minute).
- Garnish with green chillies, green corianders and ginger. Serve with lemon wedges and hot naan.