Step by step recipe of Pakistani bhuna mutton keema recipe with photos of each step.
Bhunna means to fry on high flame so when mince meat is fried with spices on high flame, the result is bhunna qeema / keema / kheema. It is a most common mince meat dish cooked in every Pakistani home.
It is also great as picnic food; ideal for canning food on travel and stays good on room temperature for several hours.
This is soul survival food that is very adaptive and can be added in pies, mince lasagna, rolls, sandwiches, samosa, filling, Bohra lasanyo or aloo pities. Plus it is super easy and simple to cook. Best tasting bhunna qeema is made with 20% fat beef mince. However, for healthy option you may take low fat, mutton leg mince.(That’s what I used.)
The trick is to fry and fry mince until you see a golden brown ting in qeema and oil separates profusely. This is like searing and is called bhuna ( bhun-na) in Urdu. Serve it with nan, chapti or roti, raita and some fresh kachumbar salad.
Few other keema recipes you might like.
Lagan ki Seekh
How to make Pakistani bhuna keema recipe
Pakistani bhuna Mutton Keema recipe
- 500 gm mince beef / mutton – keema
- ½ cup oil – ,(see notes 2)
- 250 gm onion or 2 cup sliced onion
- 3 medium tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon whole cumin – (sabut zeera)
- 1 ½ tablespoon coriander seeds – (sabut dhanya)
- ½ tablespoon chilli flakes – (kooti lal mirch)
- 4 cloves – (laung)
- 8-10 black pepper – (kali mirch)
- ½ inch cinnamon stick – (dal cheeni)
- 1 whole black cardamom – (bari elaichi)
- 1 tablespoon green chili paste
- ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- ½ cup yogurt – (dahi), whipped
- 2 tablespoon butter – ,optional
- 3-4 jalapeno peppers – (darmiyani hari mirch), thick slices
- 2 inch ginger – (adrak), julienne
- ¼ cup fresh Coriander – (hara dhanya), chopped
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder – ,freshly grounded
- Wash mince meat and put in a strainer to drain excess water, set aside
- Dry roast cumin and coriander seed together in a pan. Let it get cool, then make powder of it.
- Fry the onions in oil until golden brown.
- On medium heat add coriander and cumin powder, clove, cinnamon, cardamom , black pepper, red chili flakes, ginger paste, green chili paste and garlic paste. Fry for few seconds.
- Add chopped tomatoes and salt, mix well and cover. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add mince meat, mix well and cover again. Cook for 12 minutes on medium heat.
- Add whipped yogurt and lemon juice. Burn the excess water.
- Add butter and fry (bhunna) qeema on medium high flame, until oil separates.
- Add pepper powder, sliced jalapeno, fresh coriander and ginger slices for garnish.