Watermelon juice makes a very refreshing drink to quench your thirst in hot summer evening or after a workout or after Iftar.
Watermelon Juice Drink is high in fiber
Since most watermelon is water, some people think it is very light drink. But actually it is very filling and heavy. Watermelon is high in fiber and is slightly difficult to digest. The fiber in watermelon helps digest other food that you eat but the fruit itself takes some time to digest completely.
Best time to eat watermelon
That’s why the oldies would often suggest avoiding having this fruit in the night. Or at least not to make a habit of having it after dinner. Watermelon is best eaten in breakfast or around teatime. It is also suggested to avoid having water right after eating watermelon as this could create digestive issues.
When fresh watermelon is in season, we love to have it every day but not with meals. However, a diabetic and or liver patient needs to take watermelon in moderation and the best approach is to take medical advice from the doctor.
Few variations for watermelon drink
- Some people pair watermelon with milk. You take half milk and half watermelon juice. Also, add some chunks of watermelon. The juice is further flavored with rose syrup. I’ve tried it and I do like it but I’m not a fan of it.
- Watermelon juice with mint: Mint is the most friendly herbs that make friends with all fruits. If you love mint flavor then you should try this combo.
- Watermelon juice with lemon: Lemon is another friend of all fruits and I like this combo best. Because a drink should be refreshing and should have a punch of sweet and sour flavors. Plus the vitamin C from lemon is also an extra boost of energy.
Best way to cut water melon.
Always slice the base (where the stem is attached) and top of watermelon first. This lets the watermelon sit on the chopping board. Then chop off the sides until you have just the red flesh of the center. Gradually chop the flesh into large chunks and fill a large bowl. Juice the flesh in a blender or chill it and enjoy it just like that. Check detailed steps here.
How to juice a watermelon?
Juicing a watermelon is super simple. Once you have cut the watermelon and simply juice it in a jar blender. It is easily liquidized and you don't have to strain unless you want a very smooth pulp-free juice.
If your watermelon has seeds like mine then you must strain it. Use a very coarse strainer that removes the only seed and not pulp.
Mix lemon juice and any sweetener of your choice like honey, sugar, or maple syrup. I'm using rose flavored sugar syrup. It gives the drink a bright color and refreshing aroma. Stir the juice and then fill the glass as the pulp settles at the bottom. Finally, add little ice to chill. Tadaa! Enjoy.
Thirsty for more refreshing drinks?
- Refreshing Summer Drinks
- Cucumber Lemon Juice with honey
- Mango Milkshake
- Jaggery Drink, gur ka sharbat
- Plum Drink
- Icecream Floats
- Kiwi Drink
- Ginger Lemonade
Watermelon Juice Drink
- 4 cups watermelon chunks, (800 gm)
- 1 cup ice cubes
- 6 tablespoon rose syrup, or 4 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice
- Few mint leaves, for garnish
- Pulse watermelon chunks in a blender for 30 seconds until liquidised. You might need to work in two batches depending on the capacity of the blender.
- If your watermelon has seeds, strain it through a coarse strainer, or skip this step if using seedless melon.
- Mix watermelon juice, lemon juice and rose syrup in a pitcher.
- Add ice to individual glasses and then pour drink over the ice. Garnish with mint leaf and serve.