Step by step recipe of aloo palak dry recipe, pakistani style with photos of each step.
This is really easy, quick and absolutely tasty recipe of Aloo pala dry. Palak / spinach is highly nutritious, full of iron and folic acid vegetable. Because children just love potato, this is a children’s favorite too. Have it with roti, plain rice or khichri ( lentil rice), pickles, kachumbar or yogurt. And treat yourself with a hearty Pakistani spinach potato curry.
Remember key to yummy aloo palak is drying water of spinach. Spinach release water gradually so even after drying all water, when you reheat after an hour or so you might see some more water. Dry it! Adding little butter and bhonofying gives the spinach very buttery taste.
I like more tomatoes in my aloo palak. Some people make aloo palak without tomatoes but I recommend trying this version too. You won’t regret. I have added mustard seeds, black seeds and fenugreek seeds in this recipe both for taste and health benefits. But if you don’t have any of these ingredients just skip them, it won’t affect the taste much.
Other recipes by me,
How to make aloo palak dry recipe
Aloo Palak dry Recipe Pakistani
- 750 gram spinach with stem - (palak)
- ½ cup oil
- 3 garlic cloves - , finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cumin - (sabut zeera)
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds - (methi dana)
- ½ teaspoon black mustard seeds - (sabut kali rai)
- ½ teaspoon black seeds - (kalonji)
- 4 pepper corns - (kali mirch)
- 1½ tablespoons coriander powder - (dhanya powder)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder - (haldi)
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste - (adrak)
- 1½ tablespoons small green chili paste
- 1 teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves - (sukhi meethi)
- salt - to taste
- 2 medium (250 gram) onion - , roughly chopped
- 3 medium (200 gm) tomatoes - , chopped or puree
- 3 medium (300 grams) potatoes - , peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium green chilies - , thick slices for garnishing
- Remove stems from spinach leaves, wash spinach leaves in a large vessel and drain water in a colander.
- In a pan fry garlic, on a medium low flame for 10 sec. Then add whole spices (cumin, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, black seeds). Let them pop and then add powdered spices, coriander and turmeric.
- Finally add wet spices, green chili and ginger paste. Fry well so the flavors are released.
- Add chopped onion and salt. Fry till onions are soft, around 3-4 minutes.
- Now, add tomatoes, cook till tomato soften and color darkens. 2-3 minutes.
- Add dry fenugreek leaves. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes on medium low flame.
- While gravy is simmering, chop spinach leaves,. Add spinach leaves to the gravy too, cover and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add potatoes, cover and cook till potatoes are soft and cooked for 7 minutes.
- Add butter and fry for 2 minutes untill oil release.
- Garnish with green chilles and serve.
Step by Step how to make palak tamatar ki sabzi.
Fry garlic, and add spices cumin, mustard, black seeds, fenugreek, turmeric and coriander. Let these spices pop then add green chili and ginger paste.
So these are pretty roughly chopped, you can do fine chopping too if you want. Add spinach to gravy, stir , cover and cook till spinach are soft. (3-4 minutes). Meanwhile , skin and cut potatoes in large chunks.
How do make your palak sabzi? I’m waiting to read your responses in comment.