This is a simple everyday bhindi recipe, Pakistan style and I bet, this will be the most delicious bhindi masala that you would ever eat. It is quick and easy to make and tastes great every time. Check the tips to make it great every time.
Bhindi is also known as Okra and ladyfinger, is a delicious vegetable. It’s high in fiber and the slimy stuff in it is actually good for joints and knees lubrication. Read more Okra benefits here. Many people dislike this vegetable because of its slimy, sticky gravies. Making good bhindi masala is all about how to make a non-slimy lady finger (bhindi). Below I’m sharing the trick for overcoming stickiness in bhindi.
How do Clean Fresh Okra or bhindi?
Okra should be absolutely dry before cutting, if not the slim liquid will make chopping messy. So first wash and dry Okra on a towel, and air-dry further for a few minutes.
Chop the bhindi as shown in photographs.
How do you make okra curry without sticky gravy?
There are various methods to make okra less sticky or slimy. Remember the less liquid you add in okra, the less sticky it is. So basically you dry out excess water in okra. If using fresh okra, wash it thoroughly and drain all water. Dry any excess water by dabbing each okra with a kitchen towel. Then chop it.
Frying okra: This method is widely used in which you shallow fry okra in oil until half-done. Obviously, this method makes okra very oily and unhealthy.
Dry roasting Okra: The simple and healthy method is to cook bhindi in an empty skillet without oil or anything until half-cooked. Then add it to the dry gravy in the end. This is the method that I used in this recipe.
Put chopped bhindi and ½ teaspoon salt in a pot and cook it without oil with constant stirring on medium heat.
The sticky thread visible in the pic will burn and we will have half done Okra/bhindi which not at all slimy or sticky. Set aside and use it as needed in any bhindi recipe.
Step by step Bhindi Masala recipe Pakistani
In another pan heat oil, fry garlic, cumin, and fenugreek for a few seconds. When garlic is lightly golden add all the remaining spices.
Give it a stir and fry for another few seconds.
Add onions and cook until soft as shown in the picture.
Add tomatoes (I used homemade pureed tomatoes, you can be used chopped too), cover and cook until tomatoes are soft and cooked.
Add tamarind pulp and a ½ teaspoon sugar. ( You can substitute tamarind pulp and sugar with tamarind chutney or even barbecue sauce.) Cover and cook until tomato water dries and you see a little oil separating on the sides of the pan.
Add the roasted and half-cooked bhindi/okra in the tomato gravy and cook until soft and fully done.
Make a taste test, add more 1/2 tablespoon extra tamarind pulp if needed. Make it chatpatti! Garnish with green chili slices and serve bhindi with Green chutney, chapati, and rice.
Want more vegetable recipes? Check these.
- Aloo Palak (Spinach Potato Curry)
- Karela Masala (Bitter Melon Curry)
- Mix Sabzi ( Mix vegetable curry)
- Aloo Baingan (Eggplant curry)
- Saroon ka saag (Mustard Greens curry)
How to make Bhindi Recipe Pakistani
Bhindi Masala Recipe Pakistani | Step by step with photo
- 500 gram okra, (bhindi)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup oil, (teel)
- ½ tablespoon chopped garlic, (lahsan)
- ½ teaspoon cumin seeds or powder, (zeera)
- ½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds, optional
- 1 tablespoon coriander powder, (sookha dhanya)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, (haldi)
- ½ tablespoon ginger paste, (adrak)
- 1 tablespoon green chili paste, (hari mirch)
- ½ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1-2 tablespoon tamarind pulp
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 3-4 medium green chilli, slitted and seeds removed
- Wash and dry okra on a towel. Chop off the end and cut the okra in small pieces.
- Dry roast okra in a pan on medium heat with constant stirring so the sticky threads burns for 5-7 minutes. We needs the okra to be slightly soft and half cooked. Set aside.
- Simultaneously, heat oil in a seperate pan and fry garlic, fenugreek and cumin until lightly golden. Add the remaining ingredients in spices list. Give it all a stir and fry for few second.
- Now, add chooped onion and fry until onion are translucent and soft.
- Then add the tomatoes, tamarind pulp and sugar. Cover and cook until gravy is thick and oil separates on the sides of the pan.
- Next add the roasted okra in the onion tomato gravy and mix well. And cook for 5-7 minutes without covering the lid. Add the slitted green chillies.
- Yummy Okra (bhindi ) is ready.