Step by step recipe of Bohra lansanyo (layered mince meat, green garlic and fried egg breakfast) with photos of each step.
Lasan is Gujarati word for garlic. Lasanyo is celebrated winter breakfast of dawoodi bohra community. It's a layered dish with layers of bhuna qeema, finely chopped green garlic and raw organic (desi) eggs. Smoking hot ghee is poured from top to fry the raw eggs. Green garlic is said to give warmth to body in winter so it's a must eat winter food. Lasanyo can be eaten with roti, bread and karak double roti but bajra roti is traditional match for it like makai roti is a match for sarsoon ka saag.
Traditionally a needle was used to parse the green garlic into very thin strings. This is a very tedious task so many members of family even teenagers would help happily or forcibly; it was like a ritual. The garlic was then chopped skillfully into fine bits; which was in turn wrapped in a paper until used. Now, many people go straight away chopping green garlic to save time. Chop garlic as soon as it is brought from market and store in an air tight container in fridge. Use it up in a day or two.
Few dishes are made well with judgment (andaza) than with recipe. So take this recipe as a guideline and adjust it according to your taste.
How to make Bohra Lasanyo?
Mix cumin powder, salt and pepper with green garlic. (With this step, I set oil for heating in a sauce pan on low heat.)
In a fry pan make a layer of keema, heat it. Add a layer of chopped garlic.
Break eggs on green garlic.
Fry eggs by pouring hot oil on eggs.
Cook eggs on medium heat only if they are fully cooked. Serve hot. As the eggs cool a bit all oil will be absorbed.
Hungry for winter food? Try these!
- 1 cup cooked mince meat, (bhuna keema or 250 gm Keema boiled in 1 tablespoon hara masala See notes 1)
- 1½ cup finely chopped garlic greens, garlic scapes (hara lahsun)
- 4-5 organic eggs, (desi anday)
- ¾ teaspoon cumin seed, roasted and grounded (bhuna kutta zeera)
- ½ cup clarified butter, (ghee ) ,oil can be used too
- salt , to taste
- ¼ teaspoon pepper , or to taste
- Set oil / ghee on heating on medium low heat in a sauce pan that has long handle.
- In a bowl mix roasted and grounded cumin, salt and pepper with finely chopped green garlic and set aside.
- In fry pan spread a layer of bhuna keema, heat it.
- Add another layer of green garlic on keema.
- Break the eggs on the green garlic in the pan.
- Evenly pour hot oil / ghee on eggs to half fry them.
- Place fry pan on heat and cook the eggs. ( Do this step only if eggs are still uncooked after pouring oil). Cook eggs on low flame so they turn white but still very soft.
- Serve hot with bajra roti or paratha or karak double roti.