This post may contain affiliate links.
In my childhood, during exams saffron milk was a must. On other days, we would get Horlick, Rooh Afza, or Cadbury Chocolate milk, whatever we liked. It was only during exams, after a whole day's study, mom would give us this milk.
What a beautiful memory it was, that is still as vivid in the eyes as yesterday. I was so blessed to enjoy the love of my grand and great-grandparents till my 20's. I just can't remember to do any such things in the exam of my kids. The pressure of exams seems to be more on me than on kids.
But, I'll start this practice again. Gradually, we have all found mixing a ready-made energy drink powder convenient. And kids also love flavored milk over natural, healthier, nutrient-packed saffron milk.
My kids like smooth milk, so I powder my nuts instead of crushing and also strain them. This has made this milk more acceptable to them.
Benefits Of Saffron Milk
- Saffron is a powerful antioxidant.
- Saffron milk is warm in nature can help cold too.
- Saffron is a memory booster too. When you combine saffron with calcium-rich milk and nutrient-dense nuts. It makes a delicious and healthy drink for kids.
- It can lift your mood and calm your mind. Drinking saffron milk at night can help you sleep well.
- During pregnancy, when mood swings and fatigue can really depress you. This milk can help elevate your mood. (Avoid saffron and other warm foods in the first trimester.)
- Nevertheless, this milk is a treat. Full of nutrients, warm, aromatic, and crushed nuts are added delight.
- During Ramadan, if you want to skip elaborated iftaar, consider having this milk with dates. And once you finished your prayer you can have diner. This milk will keep you full and energized.
- Find more benefits of saffron here.
How to make it?
I crushed extra nuts in advance. And you may use cashew or any nuts you have in hand except peanut.
Ok, these are powdered nut but authentic hareera need crushed nuts like I mentioned in recipe card. You enjoys bits of nuts while drinking hareera.
Heat butter and add crushed nuts. Roast for few seconds.
Add milk, sugar and saffron.
Add cardamom powder and bring to boil. Then simmer milk for 5 minutes on medium heat.
Saffron milk is ready to serve.
Do you know of a better way, do you have any tips and memory to share. I would love to hear it in the comments. You can also tag us on social media @recipe52 or use the hashtag #loverecipe52
Hungry for drinks? Check these!
- 2¼ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon almond, crushed
- 1 tablespoon pistachio, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder, optional
- 2 tablespoon sugar , or to taste
- 8-10 strands saffron, good quality
- Heat butter in heavy bottom skillet on low heat and roast nuts for few seconds.
- Add milk, sugar, saffron, sugar and let milk and bring milk to boil. Then simmer for 5 minutes medium heat.
- Hareera is ready.
Kindly post recipe of kabab Curry
Recipe 52 says
Thanks, search kofta curry to find kabab curry recipes.