Today let’s make the best chicken pita pocket sandwiches right in the comfort of your home. This is an easy peasy recipe, just make chicken filling, chop some veggies, assemble sauces and you are ready to enjoy a light yet scrumptious sandwich.
I don’t know about you but I love pita bread. They are absolutely delicious and light and make excellent bread for sandwiches. I bake my own pita bread (recipe is here) and love the whole process.
What do you need for Chicken Pita Pocket Sandwich?
To make a pita chicken sandwich you need a few components. You can prepare these ahead and whenever hunger strikes you can assemble.
- Pita Bread
- Sauces; mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise, chili garlic sauce, or sriracha.
- Chicken filling
- Veggie filling: cabbage, capsicum, onion, tomato, and vinaigrette
- Tzatziki sauce or yogurt or Mayonnaise
Can I freeze the chicken filling?
The chicken filling for pita pocket is very much similar to gyros in taste. You can double the measures of chicken filling and freeze it. So you have a steady supply of chicken filling when you need it.
How long can I store the dip sauce?
The dip sauce we make in this recipe is made by mixing bottled sauces that already are optimized for longer shelf-life. So you can store this sauce in a clear jar and it should easily last for 7-10 days or more.
Can I use other bread than pita?
If you can’t find Pita bread or simply do not have it in hand. You can use this filling in regular sandwich bread or bun or paratha too. Because the chicken, veggie, dip sauce, and tzatziki combo is so juicy and flavorful it fits in most bread.
Can I use other veggies?
I try to use the most common veggies that are available easily. You can use bell peppers of any color to make this chicken pita pocket. Leftover salads, jalapeño, olive slices, pineapple, avocado slices, sliced romaine or iceberg can be used too.
Why Chicken Pita Pocket sandwich is healthy?
If you are using whole pita bread and using chicken and veggie salad. Naturally, you have all components of a balanced diet in this sandwich. Further, if your use only tzatziki dip and along with few sauces not including. You definitely have a healthy sandwich that is not loaded with cheese or fat that is added while grilling a sandwich.
What else can go with this Pita sandwich?
The combination with the pita sandwich is endless. Here’s are a few suggestions to substitute the chicken.
How to make Pita Chicken Pocket sandwich?
Chicken Filling for pita pocket
- Cut chicken breast in small bite-size strips and place it in a wide bowl.
- Add the ingredients of marination in the chicken mix we.
- Set aside for 20-30 minutes and lets the marinade boost flavors of chicken and tenderize it.
- Cook chicken in a covered pan for 10 minutes on medium heat. Then remove lids and burn excess moisture on high heat. We need juicy and moist chicken, set aside.
Veggie Filling for pita pocket
- Slice veggies and gather in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the ingredient of vinaigrette in the salad and mix well. The veggie filling is ready.
- Take ingredients of sauce in a bowl, mix well.
- Do a taste test, adjust if needed.
Assemble Pita Chicken sandwich
Open a pita pocket and place the veggie filling first. Then top it with Tzatziki sauce. Now add the chicken filling and top it with dip sauce. You may add olive slices and jalapenos to taste. Serve warm pita chicken pocket and enjoy it!
Hungry for snacks? Check these!
- Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Savory Chicken Crepes
- Chicken Bread Pie
- Instant noodle Frittata
- Spicy Thai Peanut Noodle
pita pocket sandwich
- 500 grams boneless chicken, cut into thin 1 inch strips
- 1 cups yogurt
- 1/3 cup cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Kashmiri chilli powder, or 1 paprika and ½ tablespoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon red chilli flakes, adjust to heat preference or skip
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ tablespoon coriander powder
- ½ tablespoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ¾ cup sliced onions, about 1 medium onion
- ¾ cup sliced cabbage, about ⅓ small cabbage
- ½ cup tomatoes, about two medium tomatoes
- ½ cup capsicum, any color you like
- 2 tablespoon vinegar
- ½ tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1¼ cup tzatziki sauce, half of this recipe, optional
- 5 pita breads, cut in to halves to make 10 pita pockets (half of this recipe)
- Take chicken in bowl and mix all the ingredient of marinade in it. Set aside for 20 -30 minutes.
- Transfer chicken in a pan. Cover and cook chicken on medium heat for 10 minutes until tender. Then remove lid and burn any excess water. We need dry but moist chicken.
- Mix all the ingredients for veggie filling in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Now mix all the ingredient of dip sauce in a bowl, set aside.
- To assemble
- To serve, open a pita pocket and fill it with the veggie filling first. Then top it with Tzatziki sauce.
- Now add the chicken filling and top it with dip sauce. Add olive slices and jalapenos (if using) and serve.