Today let's make the best chicken pita pocket sandwiches right in the comfort of your home. This is an easy peasy recipe, just make chicken filling, chop some veggies, assemble sauces and you are ready to enjoy a light yet scrumptious sandwich.
I don’t know about you but I love pita bread. They are absolutely delicious and light and make excellent bread for sandwiches. I bake my own pita bread (recipe is here) and love the whole process.
To make a pita chicken sandwich you need a few components. You can prepare these ahead and whenever hunger strikes you can assemble them.
- Pita Bread
- Sauces; mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise, chili garlic sauce, or sriracha.
- Chicken filling
- Veggie filling: cabbage, capsicum, onion, tomato, and vinaigrette
- Tzatziki sauce or yogurt or Mayonnaise
How to make it?
- Cut chicken breast in small bite-size strips and place it in a wide bowl.
- Add the ingredients of marination in the chicken mix we.
- Set aside for 20-30 minutes and lets the marinade boost flavors of chicken and tenderize it.
- Cook chicken in a covered pan for 10 minutes on medium heat. Then remove lids and burn excess moisture on high heat. We need juicy and moist chicken, set aside.
- Slice veggies and gather in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the ingredient of vinaigrette in the salad and mix well. The veggie filling is ready.
- Take ingredients of sauce in a bowl, mix well.
- Do a taste test, adjust if needed.
Open a pita pocket and place the veggie filling first. Then top it with Tzatziki sauce. Now add the chicken filling and top it with dip sauce. You may add olive slices and jalapenos to taste. Serve warm pita chicken pocket and enjoy it!
The combination with the pita sandwich is endless. Here are a few suggestions to substitute the chicken.
I tried to use the most common veggies that are available easily. You can use bell peppers of any color to make this chicken pita pocket. Leftover salads, jalapeño, olive slices, pineapple, avocado slices, sliced romaine or iceberg can be used too.
You can refrigerate the chicken filling for 2 days and freeze for 2 months.
The dip sauce stays well in the fridge for 1 month or more until it retains its taste and color.
If you like the earthy flavor of wheat. Bran pita bread will be tasty and delicious choice.
Garlic-flavored greek yogurt or garlic mayonnaise or even sour cream will make a good switch. Consider using pickled or fresh cucumbers as well in the sandwich.
Hungry for snacks? Check these!
- Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Savory Chicken Crepes
- Chicken Bread Pie
- Instant noodle Frittata
- Spicy Thai Peanut Noodle
- Juicy Chicken Burger
Chicken Pita Pockets
- 500 grams boneless chicken, cut into thin 1 inch strips
- 1 cups yogurt
- ⅓ cup cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Kashmiri chili powder or paprika
- 1 tablespoon red chili flakes, adjust to heat preference or skip
- 1½ teaspoon salt
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ tablespoon coriander powder
- ½ tablespoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Take chicken in bowl and mix all the ingredient of marinade in it. Set aside for 20 -30 minutes.
- Transfer chicken in a pan. Cover and cook chicken on medium heat for 10 minutes until tender. Then remove lid and burn any excess water. We need dry but moist chicken.
- Mix all the ingredients for veggie filling in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
- Now mix all the ingredient of dip sauce in a bowl, set aside.
- To serve, open a pita pocket and fill it with the veggie filling first. Then top it with Tzatziki sauce.
- Now add the chicken filling and top it with dip sauce. Add olive slices and jalapenos (if using) and serve.