Homemade Almond butter is just some almonds raw or roasted (your choice) grinded with considerable patience till it is runny. Finally, some flavoring with honey and salt. Your homemade almond butter is ready. Great as kids healthy snack.
Now, this homemade almond butter is so addictive that you and your family might end up eating a lot more than you ever did. So here are a few benefits, of course, we have to eat in moderation.
- Almonds are a high source of proteins and help tissue regeneration and repair.
- Especially beneficial for athletes and sports lovers as it slowly releases energy during workouts and training.
- The unique fat profile of almonds helps reduce bad cholesterol and thereby prevents the development of cardiovascular disease.
- Regular consumption improves insulin sensitivity positively. So it's a yes-yes for pre-diabetics too.
- An Almond enriched diet also helps weight loss and weight management.
- Plus, they are rich in Vitamin E (anti-oxidant), healthy flavonoids, magnesium, and potassium.
- One point to consider is that they are rich in oxalates too and high oxalates can cause many diseases. So people with kidney and gall bladder disorders should consult their doctor before making it a part of their regular diet.
Raw Almonds or Roasted Almonds
Firstly, it is obvious raw almonds are better and soaked are the best. When it comes to almond butter, you need to grind till the almonds are superheated (steam rises when you open your mixer's lid.) and release oil. So raw or roasted does not matter much as they cook in a mixer too.
- Pre-heating almonds will speed up the process.
- You can spread it on pancakes, crepe, toast, paratha or fruits.
- You use it in making dips and sauces.
- Or in soups and salads.
How to make it?
Although, this grinding process requires a lot patience but the way it turns from powder to paste is amusing. And the aroma of roasted almonds is enticing.
I roasted my almond first . You can use raw almonds too.
The almond grinding will go through four stages:
Do not give up midway and wait till it's runny because runny is smoother, creamier and spreadable.
My other similar recipes
Thin Almond Soup
Hungry for goodies? Check these!
If you try this recipe without pectin, I'd LOVE to hear your feedback in the comments. Your 5-ratings motivate me to do my best. Stay connected for more recipes and videos on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and Youtube.
Homemade Almond Butter Recipe
- 2 cup almonds, raw or roasted
- 1½ tablespoon honey
- Salt to taste
- You may roast almond in preheated oven at 300-350 F for 8-12 minute.(without burning ) Or you can skip this step if making raw almond butter.
- Grind almonds in the mixer on medium till it turns into powder.
- Scrap and continue grinding till clumpy. (2-5 minutes depending upon your mixer speed)
- Scrap from time to time and continue grinding till it is somewhat runny. (5-10 min)
- Store homemade nut butters in clean jar with tightly covered lid as exposure to oxygen can make it rancid. Alway use clean spoon for serving.
- Keep all nut butters in fridge, and they are good for more than a month. If you like soft butter, you can store on counter top too for more than a week. If you want to store for longer, you can keep in freezer upto 3 months.
- You can even make a large batch and store in freezer. Just take out a small portion and store in separate jar in fridge.
- If oil separates give your butter a whisk.
- Discard almond butter if solid part liquify or smell or taste becomes sour.