Step by step Boondi Raita recipe with photos of each step. This is a super simple and yummy recipe. You need boondi, (made from chickpea flour batter). You can get these in any Indian store or Nimco shop. You can find recipe of boondi here.
Updated: 3 December, 2020 with FAQ
What is Boondi Raita?
Boondi are tiny, deep-fried, and crispy gram flour dumplings that is added to yogurt to make boondi raita or added to any chat as a crispy condiment.
Taste of this Boondi Raita:
Ok, these are very much like Dahi bara, but what makes these special is instead of soaking boondi in the water you directly add them in yogurt, the crunchy boondi, along with sweet yogurt, crunchy onion, and potatoes are an absolute delight and treat in the mouth.
This is not traditional raita, it is next-level delicious and good as a salad on its own too. You can serve it as a snack in the evening or along with any Indian/ Pakistani meal as a delicious side.
How to make Boondi Raita, Next level recipe
The raita need some sort of spice. The simple spice blend taste amazing due to freshness.
Roast and ground ingredients of spice mix.
Mix sugar, salt, spices mix, to the yogurt.
Now, add onion, potato and cucumber in whipped yogurt.
Yogurt is mixed. Keep it in the fridge to cool. Just before serving top with boondi, paapri and chat masala and enjoy! Keep more boondi, papri and chat masala handy to top again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is this sweet boondi raita?
Yes, this raita tastes like dahi bara, you can cut sugar to only 1 teaspoon if you want namkeen raita.
Can I mix boondi in the raita instead of adding on the top?
Yes! You can add most of boondi in the raita just before serving. This will keep the boondi crunchy in the core and soft on the outside. Mixing it a few hours ahead can make boondi soggy and you might need to add extra yogurt and milk to thin it out.
How to store boondi raita?
Alway store boondi and raita separately. Boondi stays good on the counter. While store raita in the fridge.
Can I soak boondi?
Yes, if you like soft boondi in raita, you can soak it in warm water for 10 minutes. That also removes some of the oil in the fried boondi.
What is papri, how can I substitute it?
Papri is crispy flour circles, You can skip it or substitute it with fried and broken samosa patti or broken nachos.
Can I skip imli chutney?
Yes! You can skip it and add little lemon juice. If your yogurt is sour then you might not need it at all.
Can I skip cucumber or/and potato?
Adding less or more or no potato and cucumber is a personal choice.
Hungry for yogurt salads? Check these!
If you like this post, don't forget to share !
- 3 cup yogurt, whipped
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon coriander seeds
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red chilli flakes
- ¾ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 6-8 tablespoon sugar, or to taste
- 1 potato, boiled, cubbed
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped, optional
- 2-3 tablespoon chopped fresh corriander/cilantro, and/or mint leaves
- 150 grams boondi, or as desired
- 50 grams paapri , or as desired
- ½ cup Tamarind chutney, recipe here.
- Chat masala , as desired to sprikle on to for extra heat.
For spice mix
- Lightly roast spice mix ingredients and grind into a fine powder, set aside.
- Beat yogurt and milk together until smooth. Now add spice mix, sugar, cilantro, potato, onion and cucumber. Chill in the fridge until needed.
- Just before serving, pour yogurt mixture in a bowl, top with boondi, Paapri, tamarind chutney and chaat masala. Serve.
- Mix, and enjoy chilled!