Step by step recipe of easy Chicken Korma recipe Pakistani style with photos of each step.
Korma or qorma is a famous or in fact iconic Pakistani dish. It is often served in weddings and feasts. This dish entered Indian and Pakistani cuisine during Mughal Era. It is rich with spices and nuts; kewra or saffron is also added for aroma. As qorma, Korma literally means fried meat. Pardon me for a little extra oil.
It’s interesting to know that many Mughal dishes are without tomato. As tomato reached Asia in early 19 century and before that yogurt was used to add tartness to the food. So authentic Pakistani Chicken Korma recipe is without tomato. (Although some people add tomatoes in korma and it does taste yummy too but it’s not korma.)
Now this recipe is simple and easy. The method is slightly different as we will use onion paste instead of fried onions which is desi way of doing it. Taste is good. I’m not using nuts or saffron or cream and I have tried to keep it simple for everyday cooking. You might also like recipe of
White chicken curry with cashew nuts
How to make Chicken Korma recipe Pakistani style
Chicken Korma Recipe Pakistani desi style
- 500 gram chicken, - 8 pieces
- 400 grams onions, - 4 medium
- ¾ cup Oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- 7 cloves - (laung)
- 7 green cardamom - (hari elaichi)
- ½ teaspoon pepper corns - (sabut kali mirch)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder - (sookha dhanya)
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin - (zeera)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder - (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon salt - or more
- 1 Cup Yogurt, - whipped
- few almonds - (badaam)
- Make a paste of onion and set aside.
- In thick bottomed pot, fry onion paste in ½ cup oil for 5 minutes on medium heat till water dries up.
- Now, add remaining ¼ cup oil, ginger and garlic paste and spices to the onions. Fry for another 5-7 minutes with constant stirring. Till oil separates and mixture is golden brown.
- Add chicken to the pot and cover. Cook on slow flame for few minutes so chicken release water. Then cook chicken on medium heat as usual for 20 minutes or until tender. Add ½ cup water if required.
- Next, add yogurt to chicken. Mix well and cook for few more minutes until a layer of oil separates at the top.
- Garnish with almonds.
Step by step recipe of easy Chicken Korma recipe Pakistani style
Add chicken, cover the pot and cook on slow heat for few minutes until chicken releases water. Then cook on medium heat for 15 -20 minutes until tender. Check in between if required add half cup water.
Add whipped yogurt, mix well and cook for few more minutes.