Step by step recipe of easy Chicken Korma recipe Pakistani style with photos of each step. This is authentic, degi and shahi korma that is often served in wedding ceremonies and is called shadoyoon wala korma.
Updated: 14 December, 2020
What is Chicken Korma?
Korma is South Asian (that is Indian, Pakistani, Bangladeshi) yogurt based curry. What makes korma different from other curry is the strong aroma of cardamom and other whole spices.
Origin of korma
Korma is came in to being is the Mughal kitchen where spices and nuts were profuse. From there they spread to other regions including Uk under British rule and further when south Asian immigrant took their heritage around the world.
Types of korma
Different version of this dish developed, milder creamy UK version, spicier tangy desi version, white korma with nuts and so on.
Non-veg korma is can be made with lamb, beef or chicken which popular in Pakistan and Indian Muslims. Nauratan korma or Veg korma is usually made with 9 types of mixed vegetable and paneer or/and nuts. It is more popular in India.
Why tomato is not added in traditional korma?
It’s interesting to know that many Mughal dishes are made without tomato. As tomato reached Asia in early 19 century and before that yogurt or tamarind was used to add tartness to the food. So authentic Pakistani Chicken Korma recipe is without tomato. (Although some people add tomatoes in korma and it does taste yummy too but it’s not korma.)
What makes Pakistani korma different?
Korma or qorma is a famous or in fact iconic Pakistani dish. Pakistani korma is moderately spiced yogurt based curry. It is rich with spices and nuts; kewra or saffron is also added for aroma. As qorma, Korma literally means fried meat. Pardon me for a little extra oil.
How to store korma?
Chicken Korma can be stored in fridge for 2-3 days. Or you can freeze it for 2 months.
What to serve with korma?
Korma is served with taftan, naan or sheermal. However, it taste great with roti and chapati too. Pair it with some fresh salad and desi meetha like Kulfi.
How to make Chicken Korma recipe Pakistani style
Now this recipe is simple and easy. The method is slightly different as we will use onion paste instead of fried onions which is desi way of doing it. Taste is good. I’m not using nuts or saffron or cream and I have tried to keep it simple for everyday cooking.
We start with blending onions into a fine paste.
Next in pot fry onion in ½ cup oil.
Fry till onion water dries up the add remaining ¼ cup oil. Add spices, ginger and garlic paste.
Now fry the onion paste with spices for 7-10 minutes until oil fully separates and onion are sticking to bottom. Stir constantly. This step is crucial to taste so being a bit patient will help.
Add chicken, cover the pot and cook on slow heat for few minutes until chicken releases water. Then cook on medium heat for 15 -20 minutes until tender. Check in between if required add half cup water.
Add whipped yogurt, mix well and cook for few more minutes.
Yummy Korma is ready.
Hungry for Chicken Curries? Check these!
Chicken Korma Recipe Pakistani desi style
- 500 gram chicken,, 8 pieces
- 400 grams onions,, 4 medium
- ¾ cup Oil
- 1 ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- 7 cloves, (laung)
- 7 green cardamom, (hari elaichi)
- ½ teaspoon pepper corns, (sabut kali mirch)
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder, (sookha dhanya)
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin, (zeera)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder, (haldi)
- ½ teaspoon salt , or more
- 1 Cup Yogurt,, whipped
- few almonds , (badaam)
- Make a paste of onion and set aside.
- In thick bottomed pot, fry onion paste in ½ cup oil for 5 minutes on medium heat till water dries up.
- Now, add remaining ¼ cup oil, ginger and garlic paste and spices to the onions. Fry for another 5-7 minutes with constant stirring. Till oil separates and mixture is golden brown.
- Add chicken to the pot and cover. Cook on slow flame for few minutes so chicken release water. Then cook chicken on medium heat as usual for 20 minutes or until tender. Add ½ cup water if required.
- Next, add yogurt to chicken. Mix well and cook for few more minutes until a layer of oil separates at the top.
- Garnish with almonds.