Step by step recipe of Hariyali Chicken Curry with photos. I make this chicken with coriander, mint and walnuts on one of those busy days (sometimes, busy is synonym of lazy) , when I’m looking forward to a no chopping and no bhunofying recipe so this is a quick and easy chicken curry. The taste is light, aromatic and creamy with all the goodness of herbal greens. Kids and hubby both love it. You can also check this hariyali curry recipe.
What is Hariyali Chicken?
Hariyali Chicken is a North Indian, Punjabi Chicken made with cilantro and mint sauce. You can make Hariyali Chicken Tikka, Hariyali Chicken biryani or similar foods with the chicken marinated in hariyali sauce. Hariyali literally means greenery and it attributes to the green color of this dish. This chicken is very refreshing is taste and healthy too, enriched with goodness of greens and nut and dairy.
Tip to make Hariyali Chicken Curry masala
- You can use any nuts like cashew, almond in same measures but walnuts pairs very well with these herbs.
- One thing you should be careful about in making any yogurt based curry is that add yogurt after chicken is tender, otherwise curry can turn watery. You also use greek yogurt instead of regular yogurt to avoid this.
- Secondly do no cover the pot after adding yogurt and also cook on low flame. Otherwise, yogurt releases it water and develops and curdled texture.
- You might need to adjust the heat in this recipe. This can be done easily by adding or reducing green chillies or green chilli paste.
- To make this chicken even healthy, you can also add spinach in fenugreek leaves. Add these in small measure since we want cilantro (fresh coriander) to have more empowering flavor.
- Garnish this curry with a sliced hard boiled egg if you are a fan of eggs. And who’s not?
What to serve with Hariyali Chicken Curry?
You can serve hariyali chicken curry (also called hariyali murgh masala) with plain rice, naan, chapati, roti or garlic bread along fresh vegetable salad like cucumber salad.
Step by step Hariyali Murgh Masala recipe
Fry chicken in oil until color of chicken changes to golden.
Next, make a paste of green chilies, garlic, ginger and onions with some milk until smooth.
Add the garlic-onion paste to chicken. Also add cumin powder.
Cover and cook on medium heat until chicken is tender. (10-15 minutes)
(While this step can be done before too. But I prefer doing it once chicken is in pot to save time.) Blend walnuts, coriander leaves and mints leaves in a food processor until it forms a smooth green paste.
In a bowl mix green paste, yogurt, coconut milk, salt and cream. This is also called green chutney.
Green Hariyali chutney is ready to go in chicken.
Add paste to the chicken cook on high flame for 5 minutes without covering.
When desired consistency is reached and you see little oil separating from sides your hariyali chicken curry is ready. Finish with all spice powder (garam masala) and black pepper.
How to make Hariyali Murgh recipe?
If you try this recipe or any other recipe from my site, please share on social media with #loveRecipe52 or tag us on Facebook and Instagram @recipe52.
Hariyali Chicken Curry Recipe
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 500 grams skinless chicken – pieces (bone in or boneless)
INGREDIENTS FOR PASTE 1
- 5-6 nos green chillies – or 1 tablespoon Green chilli paste
- 1 inch ginger – or ½ tablespoon ginger paste
- 3 cloves garlic – or ½ tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 medium onion
- ½ tablespoon cumin – (zeera)
- 1⁄4 cup milk – for blending
INGREDIENTS FOR PASTE 2
- 1 cup fresh coriander / cilantro – , tightly packed
- ½ cup mint leaves – , tightly packed
- 6 walnuts or ¼ cup Walnut halves
- 1⁄4 cup milk for blending
- ¼ cup coconut milk powder – or 3 tablespoon coconut cream
- 1 cup yogurt – whipped
- 4 tablespoon cream – optional
- Salt to taste
INGREDIENTS FOR GARNISH
- ¼ teaspoon all spice powder – (garam masala)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Roti or rice for serving.
- In a food processor add green chili , ginger, garlic, onions and milk . Blend into a fine paste. Set aside.
- Next blend coriander, mint, walnuts and milk into a paste. Add yogurt, coconut milk and cream to the paste. Mix well.
- In a pot fry chicken in oil for few minutes until the pink color of chicken vanishes.
- Add paste 1 to the chicken. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add paste 2 to chicken. Cook for another five minutes or until desired consistency is reached.
- Garnish with garam masala and black pepper. Serve with roti or rice.
Pin this image for later reference!
Like, Comment, Subscribe to let us know your opinion and request. We are working everyday to bring best taste with easiest recipe.
Pin It, Watsapp, Share! Let everyone know you discovered this amazing recipe. SHARING IS CARING!
Hungry? Try these recipes.