This is a super easy and delicious Roast leg of lamb recipe. We are using lemon juice and yogurt as meat tenderisers. Give the lamb leg good 12-16 hours of marination. And you have soft yummy lamb leg to enjoy. Lamb leg is called raan in Urdu. In this post both terms are used interchangeably.
- For this Lamb Leg, I made a spice mix that you can make a few days ahead too.
- If you are in hurry and don’t want to make this spice mix. Use either raan masala or Indian curry masala. (Salan masala).
- If you wish to play around the recipe, add some personal touch you can also add these to the spice mix.
- 1 tablespoon desiccated coconut
- 1/2 tablespoon fennel seeds (sauf)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
My other similar recipes
Roast Leg of Lamb Recipe
Mutton Leg Roast Recipe
- 6-8 whole round red chillies
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ kg mutton leg
- 4 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- ½ cup yogurt
- ⅓ cup cream
- 3 tablespoon chilli garlic sauce or ketchup
- 2 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 3 green chillies
- 12 curry leaves
- ½ cup water , to spread over baking tray
- Onion rings
- Lemon wedges
- In a pan roast round red chilli, coriander and cumin seed for 30 second until fragrant.
- Add red chilli powder, all spice powder and salt. Give it a stir and transfer to a food processor.
- Grind mixture into a fine powder. Pass the powder through a seive and grind the remains once again. Seive again. Then discard the remains.
- Spice Mix is ready.
- Mix spice mix, lemon juice, ginger, garlic and yogurt in a bowl. Set aside.
- Wash the mutton leg thoroughly, and leave the leg in colander to dry.
- Poke the leg all around with a fork.
- Then apply spice mixture throughly all over the leg.
- Cover with cling wrap and store in fridge over night. (8-16 hours)
- Next day, cook the mutton leg in wide pot with 2 cups of water. Keep the heat on medium low and cover the pot tightly to seal the steam.
- The mutton leg will take 2-3 hours of cooking time. Keep checking at intervals of 30 minutes and adjust heat as needed.
- When mutton leg is absolutely tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Mix chilli garlic sauce, cream and remaining gravy from mutton leg in a bowl and cover all over the mutton leg.
- In a pan heat oil and add chopped garlic. When garlic is golden add cumin, chillies and curry leaves. Let all crackle then pour tempering evenly over mutton leg.
Cook on stove:
- Heat raan throughly on stove for 7-10 minutes on medium heat and then serve onion slices and lemon wedges.
Cook in oven.
- Preheat oven at 300 F. Transfer raan with gravy over a baking tray. Add little water if there is no gravy in tray.( The water in tray will stop the gravy from burning.) Bake mutton leg for 10 minutes until roasted. Serve with lemon wedges, onion rings and chutneys.
Roast Leg of Lamb Recipe | Pictorial
Prepare Spice Mix
Heat a pan and dry roast cumin seeds, coriander seeds and red button chiles for 30 seconds.
Now, also add powdered spices that is red chilli powder, whole spice powder and salt. Roast for 2-3 seconds and transfer to a food processor.
Grind spice in to a fine powder.
Pass spice mix through a fine sieve.
Grind the remains in sieve second time.
Sieve the spice mix once more and discards the remains now.
Spice Mix is read. (See ‘Tips’ above the recipe card for more information and variations.)
In spice mix bowl , add yogurt, ginger, garlic and lemon juice. Mix well and set aside.
Wash Lamb/Mutton Leg thoroughly and remove excess fat. Pierce the leg all around with a fork. Pierce should be deep.
Rub the spice mix paste all over the mutton leg and marinate it overnight for 8-12 in fridge.
Next day, add two cups of water and mutton leg in large pot and cook on medium heat for 2-3 hours. Check at the interval of 30 minutes or as needed. Adjust heat and water as needed. Flip the mutton leg once or twice while cooking. Mutton should get very tender.
Mutton is ready and most of the water has dried.
In a bowl , take tomato ketchup, cream and gravy from lamb. Mix well . (You can also add chilli garlic sauce instead of ketchup if you like spicy food.)
If Baking:Transfer mutton leg to a baking tray if baking and cover the leg with ketchup, cream sauce. Also preheat the oven at 300 F.
If cooking in pot: Simply pour ketchup cream gravy in pot and mix well.
Heat oil in a small vessel and add all ingredient of tempering. Cook for 1 minute on medium heat. Then pour tempering over the mutton leg.
So here is the raan covered with sauce and tempering. (Note : Add half cup water in tray so mutton leg doesn’t burn from bottom and it will also keep the raan moist.)
If cooking pot: Cover pot immediately after adding tempering. Simmer raan for 5-7 minutes low heat until thoroughly heated. Then serve. ( You may add cup water if you like moist and juicy raan.)
Baking Mutton leg at 300F for 5-7 minutes until toasted. (Add about half cup water in tray.)
So that how yummy the Lam leg turns out. (The burn area around the tray can be avoided by adding a about half cup water in the tray.)
Pin this image for later reference!
Like, Comment, Subscribe to let us know your opinion and request. We are working everyday to bring best taste with easiest recipe.